Right click Team Fortress 2 in your Steam library, click Properties and
click the Set Launch Options… button. In the window that appears, remove
anything that’s in there and paste
-novid -nojoy -nosteamcontroller -softparticlesdefaultoff -reuse -nohltv -particles 1 -primarysound -snoforceformat into
the box and click ok.
Read below about optional launch options and choosing your own DXLevel.
DXLevel Launch Options¶
These launch options should be added to first launch, and then removed.
DXLevel Launch options are very system dependent so you will only find the best one by testing it yourself.
-dxlevel 95 is your best bet and works for most people.
Windows (recommended dxlevel)¶
- -dxlevel 95 : DirectX 9Ex
Windows (alternative dxlevels)¶
- -dxlevel 90 : Shader Model 2
- -dxlevel 100 : DirectX 9Ex (max settings allowed, no GPU feature support checking)
OpenGL (Linux and macOS) (recommended dxlevel)¶
- -dxlevel 92 : OpenGL partial Shader Model 3
OpenGL (Linux and macOS) (alternative dxlevel)¶
- -dxlevel 90 : OpenGL Shader Model 2
List of Launch Options¶
-novid -nojoy -nosteamcontroller -softparticlesdefaultoff -reuse -nohltv -particles 1 -primarysound -snoforceformat
- -novid : disables Valve startup logo, saves time
- -nojoy : stops Joystick system from starting up, faster startup and less memory usage
- -nosteamcontroller : disable Steam controller system, faster startup, less memory usage and less input conflicts
- -softparticlesdefaultoff : disable scene depth blending for particles and sprites, more FPS
- -reuse : allow network sockets to be reused when busy (
SO_REUSEADDR), better network performance in some edge cases
- -nohltv : disables SourceTV hosting, less resource usage
- -particles 1 : limits beam count to the minimum of 512
- -primarysound: always use a direct hardware sound buffer (only works on 2 speakers or headphones), may cause sounds to not play. Reduces stuttering. Windows only.
- -snoforceformat: do not set the hardware sound buffer format, may cause sounds to not play. Reduces stuttering and solves some minor issues with
-primarysound. Windows only.
Extra Launch Options¶
- -console : displays console on startup
- -r_emulate_gl: changes rendering pipeline to accommodate OpenGL quirks and support levels, still runs using DirectX
- -nostartupsound : disable game music on main menu
- -freq x : forces your refresh rate for when TF2 does not automatically detect it. For example, if you have a 144Hz monitor, x would be 144, for
OpenGL Launch Options (Linux and macOS only)¶
- displayindex x : use the monitor at the specified display index. starts at
0is the primary display (and the default).
- -gl_enablesamplerobjects : enhance texture preloading using sampler objects
- -gl_texclientstorage : use driver host copies for textures, reduces memory usage. May cause issues with texture display.
Niche Launch Options¶
- -nouserclip : uses software clipping instead of hardware user clip planes, FPS increase or decrease depends on your CPU+GPU
- -nosound : disables sound, no performance boost unless your drivers are slow
- -small : allow for resolutions smaller than 640x480
Experimental Launch Options¶
- -gl_amd_pinned_memory : use
AMD_pinned_memoryfor efficient device memory handling. Experimental as its performance impact (negative or positive) is unknown. Linux only.